Brookfield Properties is committed to partnering with, empowering, and providing resources for Black- and minority-owned businesses.
Partner to Empower is a program dedicated to addressing and breaking down the systemic racial barriers that members of our communities face.
We will invest $25 million through 2025 to help Black and minority business owners open brick-and-mortar stores in our malls by providing:
- One-on-one business planning and guidance
- Networking opportunities and resources
- Funding dedicated to store construction expenses
- A tailored, four-week Retail Workshop led by industry experts
It is our goal to bring more diversity to our shopping centers and help support equity within our industry.
Our program at a glance
states were eligible for the program in 2021
businesses attended the 2021 Retail Workshop
Session 1 applications open February 16
Partner to Empower will be accepting applications for select properties starting February 16, with additional application windows opening across the nation throughout 2022. Sign up for our emails to stay up to date on the latest news, openings, application windows, and more.
Retail Workshop starts
Retail Workshop ends
Marketing support and store build-outs
Is this program right for you?
We’re looking for Black- or minority-owned businesses that:
- Are interested in opening a store within the Brookfield Properties U.S. mall portfolio.
- Have the correct funding to support their business operations and inventory outside of the funding that the program provides for store build-out expenses.
- Want to sign a license agreement — ideally for a minimum of two years.
- Are available to attend the Retail Workshop.
Partner to Empower funding is specifically for the expenses associated with the build-out and construction of a physical store within a Brookfield Properties mall. For full funding details visit our FAQ page.
Our four-week virtual Retail Workshop is a master class on all things business and brick-and-mortar retail. Led by industry experts, the workshop will cover topics such as building business plans, business banking, marketing, staffing, store operations, leadership, and more — and the best part: it’s free for accepted applicants.
Stay up to date on program news, application windows, and more.