Brookfield Properties is committed to partnering with, empowering, and providing resources for business owners of color.
Partner to Empower is a program dedicated to helping break down the systemic racial barriers that members of our communities face. We help business owners of color, including but not limited to Black, Indigenous, Hispanic, Asian, and Pacific Islander Americans, open brick-and-mortar stores in our malls by providing:
- A tailored, four-week Retail Workshop led by industry experts
- One-on-one business planning and guidance
- Networking and community support
- Funding opportunities to kickstart the store opening process
At the core, Partner to Empower is about furthering equity in retail and increasing access to things every business owner deserves: the joy of entrepreneurship and the power of support.
Our program at a glance
malls participating nationwide
businesses attended the Retail Workshop
total stores opened or under construction
Applications will open again in May!
Is this program right for you?
We’re looking for business owners of color, including but not limited to Black, indigenous, Hispanic, Asian, and Pacific Islander Americans, that:
- Are interested in opening a store within the Brookfield Properties U.S. mall portfolio.
- Have the correct funding to support their business operations and inventory outside of the funding that the program provides for store build-out expenses.
- Want to sign a license agreement — ideally for a minimum of two years.
- Are available to attend the Retail Workshop, our virtual, expert-led course on all things business and brick-and-mortar retail.
Our four-week virtual Retail Workshop is a master class on all things business and brick-and-mortar retail. Led by industry experts, the workshop will cover topics such as building business plans, business banking, marketing, staffing, store operations, leadership, and more — and the best part: it's included at no cost for all accepted applicants.
Accepted applicants can select which Retail Workshop session they would like to attend:
- March 11 - April 5
- July 8 - August 2
- September 23 - October 18
Partner to Empower funding is specifically for the expenses associated with the build-out and construction of a physical store within a Brookfield Properties mall. For full funding details visit our FAQ page.