Last Updated: December 31, 2019
1. We collect and use personal information from and about you. The information we collect depends on how you interact with us.
2. We use personal information as described here. We may use personal information for marketing, to respond to your requests, to provide you with services, to improve our products and services, to comply with our obligations, to administer our websites and services, for internal operations and security purposes, for hiring purposes, and as otherwise disclosed or permitted by law.
3. We collect personal information about you from various sources. These sources include collecting information directly from you and your device, from our vendors and other sources, and by combining information.
4. We share your personal information with other parties. We may share personal information with parties including, the Brookfield Properties family of companies and business units, service providers and vendors who perform services on our behalf, our business partners and marketing companies, to comply with the law or to protect ourselves, our customers and others, or as part of a transaction.
5. You have certain choices about how we use your personal information. You can opt-out of some of our uses of personal information. This includes certain of our online tracking and advertising tools, and our promotional email.
6. Your California Privacy Rights. Residents of California have additional choices under California law. You can learn about these in this section.
7. Your EU Privacy Rights. Residents of the EU have additional rights under EU law. You can learn about these in this section.
8. Your Canadian Privacy Rights. Residents of Canada have additional rights under Canadian law. You can learn about these in this section.
9. We may process and store information in the United States. Information processed and stored in the United States may be accessed by United States law enforcement according to United States law.
10. Our websites and services are not intended for children.
11. We use standard security measures. However, the internet is not 100% secure, and we cannot promise that your information will be completely safe.
12. We may link to third party sites or services we don’t control. We are not responsible for these sites or services
13. Feel free to contact us.
We collect and use personal information from and about you.
Brookfield Properties (and the vendors we hire to perform services on our behalf) collect, receive, and develop several categories of personal information about you depending on the nature of your interactions with us. For example:
We collect Contact Information. For example, we might collect your name, email address, account username and password, social media account handles, phone number, and mailing address.
We collect Commercial and Preference Information. We may collect information about your purchase history, retailer preferences, leasing details, apartment rental history, and your other transactions and preferences. We may also collect your comments that you post on our websites or blogs and your responses to surveys you complete. In certain circumstances such as in the case of a residential home purchase, we may collect or ask you to provide additional personal information such as government issued identification, financial information and employment information. At parking garages at certain of our properties, we may use license plate reader technology to collect license plate and vehicle-related information including a photograph of the license plate (which may include parts of the vehicle surrounding the license plate), the GPS location of the vehicle, and the time and date of the read.
We collect Internet and Network Activity Information. If you use our websites or apps, we may collect information about the browser you are using and your IP address. We might also collect device identifiers and information about how you use our Wi-Fi network and other services. We might collect information at the site you came from, or the site you visit when you leave us. We may collect page interaction information (such as what areas of the websites you visit and for how long, what search terms you enter, and what products or content you view and click on), and methods used to browse away from the page. If you use our mobile apps, we may also look at how often you use the app and where you downloaded it.
We collect Location Information. We automatically collect your precise GPS location when you access our apps or the mobile version of our websites. We also collect information about your general location, using your zip code or postcode and IP address.
We collect Demographic Information. We may collect information like your ethnicity, gender, birth date, age, language spoken, housing status, current household size, current household type, annual household income, desired housing characteristics and desired housing location or community.
We collect Payment Information. We collect your credit card and other payment details if you make a purchase or sign up through some of our services.
We collect Employment-Related Information. When you apply for a job, we collect information you submit as part of your application and resume. This might include your work experience and previous employment, your education, the URL to your personal or professional websites, your workplace skill sets and certifications, whether you need a visa or require sponsorship, and/or salary expectations. If you apply for a job, you may choose to also voluntarily provide any of the following information: ethnicity, gender, disability status, and/or veteran status.
We collect Audio/Visual Information. When you visit certain properties, we may record audio and video at the property.
We collect and develop Inferences. Using the other pieces of personal information collected about you, we may draw inferences about you, reflecting what we believe to be your preferences, characteristics, predispositions, and attitudes.
We use personal information as described here.
We use the above-referenced categories of personal information for the following purposes:
We use information to provide you with services and fulfill your transactions.
We use information for marketing purposes. For example, we might use personal information to provide you with information about special promotions, retailer discounts, purchase incentives, prize promotions, shopping guides, or offers. We might also use this information to send push notifications on our app and to serve you ads about our products and offers. We might tell you about new features or services. These might be our own offers or products, or third-party offers or products we think you might find interesting. You may opt-in to receive our email newsletters or to receive text messages from us. To learn about your choices for these communications, read the Choices section below.
We use information to analyze and improve our products and services. For example, may use your information to make our websites, apps, services, and products better. We might use your information to customize your experience with us and to conduct research and analysis.
We use information to comply with our obligations, administer our websites and services, and for internal operations. For example, we use personal information to administer the websites, such as troubleshooting, data analysis, and testing.
We use information for security purposes. For example, we may use personal information to protect our company, our customers, and our business partners. We also may use personal information to protect our websites or our services, as well as to detect and investigate activities that may be illegal or prohibited (such as cyber attacks or fraudulent transactions).
We use information for hiring purposes. For example, we use Contact Information and Employment-Related Information to review your job applications and contact you about employment opportunities. If you choose to voluntarily submit your ethnicity, gender, disability status, and/or veteran status in connection with a job application, we will use that information for statistical tracking purposes (not for hiring decisions), in accordance with applicable law.
We use information as otherwise disclosed or permitted by law, or as we may notify you. We may use personal information to create deidentified or aggregated data which does not identify you or any other individual. We may use and disclose this anonymous or aggregated data as we choose.
We collect personal information about you from various sources.
We collect personal information about you from various sources, directly and indirectly, including from the following sources:
We collect personal information directly from you. For example, we collect information if you sign up for an account, enter into an agreement, participate in a promotion, contact us, sign up for our text and other messages, or sign up for investor alerts or other emails. We also collect Payment and Commercial and Preference Information if you make a purchase and we collect Employment-Related Information if you apply for a job. We also collect any personal information you provide if you post a comment, make a request, or complete a survey.
We collect personal information from your devices. We use tracking tools like browser cookies and web beacons to automatically collect information about you. We collect information when you interact with our websites, our apps, our ads, or our emails that we or our vendors send to you. To learn about your choices for these tracking tools, read the Choices section below. We may also collect information for your devices passively using WiFi technology.
We receive personal information from vendors we hire to work on our behalf. For example, vendors that host or maintain our websites and apps and send promotional emails for us may give us information. Our employment and recruiting vendors also give us information. Our marketing agencies, advertising technology vendors, and analytics providers may also provide us with information.
We receive information about you from other sources. Other parties may give us personal information about you. These other parties might also include business and marketing partners and social media platforms that give us information they have collected either directly or indirectly from you. We may also receive Employment-Related Information from a job network or social network if you choose to import your information from those platforms when applying for a job with us. We also use features that let your friends give us your information.
We combine information. We may combine information that we have collected offline with information we collect online. Or we may combine information we get from another party with information we already have. We may also aggregate your information with other consumers’ information to understand preferences and trends over time.
We share your personal information with other parties.
We share personal information under the following circumstances:
We share your personal information with our business partners and marketing companies. We might share information with third parties who co-sponsor a promotion or promote our services. Some of these partners may send you information about products or services by mail or email. They may share your information with other third parties. We may also share the above categories of personal information with companies that help us with our marketing efforts, including social media platforms, advertising networks, and ad tech companies. For example, we may share email addresses of other contact information with social media platforms so they can serve our advertising to you on their platform. Personal information received by our partners may also be subject to their privacy policies.
We will share your personal information if we think we have to in order to comply with the law or to protect ourselves, our customers and others. We may share any or all categories of personal information to respond to a court order or subpoena. We may also share this personal information if a government agency or investigatory body requests it. We might share your personal information in order to enforce our agreements and to protect our rights and/or the rights of others. We might share your personal information when we are investigating potential fraud. This might include fraud we think has happened during a promotion. If you are the winner of a sweepstakes or contest, we may also share your certain Contact Information with anyone who requests a winner’s list.
We may share your personal information as part of a transaction, financing, or for other business needs. For example, if Brookfield Properties sells any of its businesses or assets, applies for loans, or opens bank accounts, we may disclose your personal information to the prospective buyer, lender or bank, as the case may be, as part of certain due diligence processes. We also share information for the purpose of management and administration of Brookfield Properties’ business.
We may share your personal information with a successor to all or part of our business. If part of our business (including any of our affiliates, divisions, and business units) is acquired by a third party, we may include personal information as part of that transaction, which may include some or all categories of your personal information. We may also share your personal information if there is a similar change to our corporate structure. We may also share your information with others as they conduct diligence of our corporate changes.
We may share personal information for other reasons we may describe to you from time to time or as permitted by law.
You have certain choices about how we use your personal information.
You can opt out of receiving our marketing emails and text messages. To stop receiving our promotional emails, you can follow the instructions in any promotional message you get from us. If you receive promotional text messages from us, you may opt-out by replying “STOP”. Even if you opt out of getting marketing messages, we will still send you transactional messages. These include responses to your questions.
You can control if we share information with third parties for their marketing purposes. To opt out of having us share your information with third parties for their promotional purposes, please send an email to email@example.com.
You can control certain cookies and tracking tools. To learn more about the cookies we use and to set your cookie preferences, click on the Cookie Settings link in the footer of each Brookfield Properties website you visit. Keep in mind that the cookies used on our various websites will differ and you will need to set your preferences on each Brookfield Properties site you visit. Your browser may also give you the ability to control cookies or other tracking tools. How you do so depends on the type of tool. Certain browsers can be set to reject browser cookies. Since flash cookies do not reside in your browser, your browser settings will not affect them. To control flash cookies, you thus need to click here.
We and third party advertising networks, social media companies, and other services may collect information about your use of our websites and apps over time so that they or we may display interest-based advertising using information gathered about you over time across multiple website or other platforms. To do this, we and our vendors use several common tracking tools, such as browser cookies, web beacons, and similar technologies. To set your preferences related to this type of information collection and use, click on the Cookie Settings link in the footer of each Brookfield Properties website you visit. You can also visit www.aboutads.info/choices to opt-out of certain uses of cookies for advertising purposes. We use Google Analytics to better understand how our users interact with our websites. You can learn about Google Analytics’ currently available opt-outs at https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/.
Some browsers have “do not track” features that allow you to tell a website not to track you. These features are not all uniform. We do not currently respond to those signals. If you block cookies, certain features on our site may not work. If you block or reject cookies, not all of the tracking described here will stop.
Options you select and choices you make are browser, website and device specific. If you clear your cookies or your browser’s cache, you will need to set your preferences again.
Your California Privacy Rights.
If you reside in California, you have the right to ask us one time each year if we have shared personal information with third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make a request, please send us an email, or write to us at the address listed below. Indicate in your letter that you are a California resident making a “Shine the Light” inquiry.
If you reside in California, you can make the following more specific requests with respect to your personal information:
- Access – You can request that we disclose to you the categories of personal information we collected about you, the categories of sources from which we collected the personal information, the categories of personal information we sold or disclosed, our business or commercial purpose for collecting and selling the personal information, the categories of third parties with whom we shared the personal information, and the specific pieces of personal information we collected about you over the past 12 months.
- Deletion – You can request that we delete your personal information that we maintain about you, subject to certain exceptions.
Brookfield Properties will not discriminate against you because you made any of these requests.
We will take reasonable steps to verify your identity prior to responding to your requests. The verification steps will vary depending on the sensitivity of the personal information and whether you have an account with us.
California residents may designate an authorized agent to make a request on their behalf. When submitting the request, please ensure the authorized agent is identified as an authorized agent.
- We may collect, and use for our business and commercial purposes, the following categories of personal information as set forth in applicable California law: Identifiers; payment and customer records information; characteristics of protected classifications under California or federal law (such as demographic information like age and gender); commercial information; professional or employment information; internet or other electronic network activity information; geolocation data; education information; audio, electronic or visual information; and inferences. We collect this personal information from the sources described above.
- We may sell the following categories of personal information: Identifiers; payment and customer records information; demographic information; commercial information; Internet or other electronic network activity; geolocation data; and inferences.
Your EU Privacy Rights.
As detailed below, to the extent provided by the law of your jurisdiction, you may have legal rights in relation to the personal information about you that Brookfield Properties holds. We may require you to prove your identity with approved identification if you request this information.
Lawful basis for processing your personal data.
We process on the following legal bases:
1. Contract: It is necessary for our performance of the contract you have agreed to enter with us. If you do not provide your personal data to us, we will not be able to carry out our obligations under the terms of the contract.
2. Legitimate Interests: We are permitted to process your personal data if it is based on our legitimate interests. In relation to general inquiry and complaints you send us, our legitimate interest is to provide you with information you have requested and to provide customer support. You can object to the processing that we carry out on the grounds of legitimate interests. See the section "Rights of data subjects" below to find out how.
3. Consent: Where you have given us consent to do so, we provide you, or permit third parties to provide you, with information about goods or services which we feel may interest you. You have the right to withdraw your consent. Please see the section "Rights of data subjects" below to find out how.
4. Legal Claims: We need to process your personal data to defend or establish a legal claim (for example, claims relating to the sale of our goods and services under contract law).
Rights of data subjects
You have the following rights, where provided under applicable law, regarding your information (each of which are subject to various exceptions and limitations):
3. The right to rectification: You are entitled to have your information corrected if it is inaccurate or incomplete.
4. The right to erasure: This is also known as ‘the right to be forgotten’ and, in simple terms, enables you to request the deletion or removal of your information where there’s no compelling reason for us to keep using it. This is not a general right to erasure; there are exceptions.
5. The right to restrict processing: You have rights to ‘block’ or suppress further use of your information. When processing is restricted, we can still store your information. We keep lists of people who have asked for further use of their information to be ‘blocked’ to make sure the restriction is respected in future.
6. The right to data portability: You have rights to obtain and reuse your personal data for your own purposes across different services and platforms.
7. The right to object: You have the right to object to certain types of processing, in particular processing based on our legitimate interests. You also can object at any time to your information being used for direct marketing purposes (including profiling related to such direct marketing). Where you object to processing for direct marketing purposes, the personal data shall no longer be processed for such purposes.
8. The right to refuse or withdraw consent: You have the right to refuse to provide and withdraw your consent to processing of your personal information at any time with effect for future processing.
If you are not satisfied with our response to your complaint or believe our processing of your information does not comply with data protection law, you can make a complaint to the UK Information Commissioner's Office (ICO): https://ico.org.uk/concerns/.
Please note your rights in relation to your personal data are not absolute. We may, for example, deny you access to your personal data when required or authorized by law, or if granting access would have an unreasonable impact on another individual’s privacy.
We will retain and use your personal information as necessary to comply with our legal and business obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
Your Canadian Privacy Rights.
Residents of Canada may access, review, and request correction their personal information held by Brookfield Properties.
We will take reasonable steps to verify your identity prior to responding to your requests. The verification steps will vary depending on the sensitivity of the personal information and whether you have an account with us.
We reserve the right not to change personal information if we disagree that it is incorrect, but we will append your requested alternative information. We may not provide access to personal information where permitted or required to deny access by the applicable law, for example, where the information requested would disclose the personal information, including opinions, of another individual or if it is subject to solicitor-client or litigation privilege.
You have the right to refuse to provide or to withdraw your consent to processing of your personal information at any time with effect for future processing. This would not affect processing where the applicable law allows us to process personal information without consent.
We may process and store information in the United States.
Information we collect from you may be transferred to, processed in, or stored in the United States or another destination outside of the European Economic Area (“EEA”), Canada, or your jurisdiction of residence. Information may be processed by personnel operating in these locations who work for us or one of our business partners. As a result, this information may be subject to access by and disclosure to government and law enforcement agencies in those countries according to their laws. The standard of data protection in the United States and in certain other countries where we may process your information is considered by the European Commission to be not adequate when compared to the data protection standards of the EU and EEA. By using our websites or submitting your personal data, you consent to such transfer, storing and processing.
Our websites and services are not intended for children.
Our websites and our services are meant for adults. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 16. If you are a parent or legal guardian and think your child has given us information, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We use standard security measures.
We may link to third party sites or services we don’t control.
Feel free to contact us.